Self-improvement is a personal process where the individual begins by being self-aware. He sees who he wants to be and, most importantly, sees who he is capable of becoming.
As a result of being self-aware, you can analyze your habits and transform them into good ones. For instance, getting enough sleep, training, eating healthy, or simply having a positive mindset towards your day-to-day tasks will always bring all sorts of benefits to your mental health, self-esteem, and motivation.
Sometimes one can easily feel like they have no control over themselves, almost like a leaf blown in the wind. That’s why it’s crucial to take it step-by-step when starting something new, primarily when one has never worked on perseverance or being self-disciplined.
Sometimes we focus too much on the results and not on the process. By focusing on a goal, one must be able to build a bridge between where they are and where they would like to be.
Some essential morning habits that can easily be incorporated into your routine can be:
– Getting up early and getting enough sleep: This gives you the chance to start your day gradually, spending time with yourself and focusing on yourself.
Many people think they need to sleep more than their body needs.
When it comes to rest, the body can get through the day with just 7 hours of sleep. And even for some people, less than that. So if you are feeling tired later on in the day, instead of taking a 1-hour nap after lunch, it’s much better to take little breaks and rests throughout the day.
– Drinking water (Eight glasses a day keeps the doctor away): It might seem obvious because it’s a need, but many people forget to do so. When you get up, your body needs to hydrate again after sleeping. An average adult needs to consume about 3 liters of water per day. Drinking enough water comes with many benefits, like skincare, promotes weight loss, and helps you think.
– Getting fresh air/going for a walk: this exercise can be done at any time of the day. It comes with many benefits; stress relief, mind-clearing, body fat loss, sleep improvement.
– Getting out of your comfort zone: this can be done in many ways. It’s very recommended to try something new every day, like a bit of challenge. It can be from cooking something, meeting new people, going somewhere you’ve never been before, listening to new music. Doing this will disconnect from your usual routine, and you will probably approach your responsibilities and priorities with a different perspective. You could call this a little holiday, by simply letting your mind live the moment and forgetting what you need to do when you go back home or anything related to work. And that brings me to my next point.
– Meditation: This is a moment just for you, where you can connect with your inner self and forget about all external factors. When one meditates, he can calm and relax his mind. Therefore it’s easier to align it with his emotions.
It is widespread for work or home to lead to anxiety, depression, or stress, which is why people begin meditating. It is proven that if one can adequately meditate consistently, it can prevent future illnesses and diseases.
– Stretching: on the other hand, stretching has many benefits when it comes to the physical side of our body. Although in many cases, when one is stressed, his muscles tighten up, and by stretching, the tension is relieved, and he can relax. It also prevents future injuries, corrects posture, flexibility, improves sleep. Overall it’s an easy and effective habit that prevents you from becoming a cardboard box when you get older.
– Movement: working out/exercising is essential for keeping a healthy lifestyle since it benefits you in many ways, from disease prevention, weight control, improving mood and mindset, boosting energy, and promoting better sleep.
You can work out many ways, not necessarily by going to the gym. You can swim, practice a sport, run, and go cycling. Many people link exercising with suffering or self-obligation, like going to work. It is essential to approach this habit with an open mind and to think of it as a moment of fun and disconnection.
There are many ways to improve your lifestyle, by making slight changes like simply eating a piece of fruit after lunch instead of sugary pudding or walking home from work instead of taking the bus.
“Be better today than what you were yesterday, and be better tomorrow than you are today.”— Lorenzo Snow
“I’m starting with the man in the mirror. I’m asking him to change his ways”— Michael Jackson